Hireflow is an AI-based startup that aims to revolutionize the hiring process. I helped them revamp their candidate card.





Project Type



Product Designer

Project Overview

Redesigning the candidate card

Hireflow is a software company that speeds up the hiring process by providing managers with AI-auto-sourced candidates. A huge key to the success of the company is in how it provides the information a candidate has to the information a recruiter needs. Hireflow does this through the development of a candidate card, which displays information useful to a recruiter about the candidate. As part of an in-semester internship, I participated in a re-design of the candidate card to make it more accessible and easier to read.


The Importance of Information Hierarchy

     Central to this project's goal was a fundamental challenge; recruiters need to move as fast as possible (our research indicated that recruiters looked at, on average, a thousand candidates before finally hiring one), while still giving each candidate the time they deserve. As such, the importance of the candidate card redesign wasn't just what information to include, but also the ordering of the information.
    Through interviews conducted with recruiters, we found that the most requested point of observation for interviewers is a candidate's work history. The current occupation was placed first on the card, with work history coming second. This, in theory, would give recruiters the most important information they could want: if a candidate has a track record to indicate that they can perform a particular job. In spots three and four, I placed education and skills respectively. While skills are important, a combination of education and work history can imply the knowledge of some skills; a degree in data science implies that a candidate can use SQL).
    I went through two versions of this project: a first draft, which featured a complete redesign, and a less completely overhauled version of the card. My first design, although I appreciated its UI, took up too much space. Through the UX research that I conducted, we found that they were unsure of the order to look at the cards. The work from the first design ultimately leads me to create a smoother, speaker, and more accessible final product by eliminating excess noise and emphasizing key information.

The origional draft for the newly improved candidate cards

Final Product

Simplifying complexity

     Rather than accept failure, I decided to move forward and create a better redesign. My first step was research. Through interviews with recruiters, we found that they were unsure of the order to look at the cards. Recruiters were confused by the 2x2 format of the grid, as they found themselves looking both left-right and up-down simultaneously. They also wanted more information. Additionally, they found the format and indentation of the card difficult to read.
    I took this feedback to heart and created a redesign to address these problems. First, I changed the format of the card. Rather than an "indentation model", I added the candidate's current company logo to the top left of the card. This allowed me to conveniently place the candidate's information below the logo, thereby creating a convenient internal grid. This helped add symmetry and standardized the information hierarchy of the card. Second, I increased the card size and placed them one by one on the page. This helped recruiters navigate the platform with a single motion on the trackpad. Finally, I added a skill section to give recruiters more information on the candidate.

More Case Studies